How to re-program your keyless entry remotes on the 1990-1997 XJ6 model Jaguars:
We often get questions from customers on how to recode their remote alarm transmitters after replacing batteries. Below are the procedures for performing this recoding for 1990-1997 XJ6 models. These procedures will only apply to Jaguar original equipment alarm systems, of course.In some cases the instructions do not work, if this is the case with your car you will need to take the car and remote to a Jag dealer and have them program it with their computer.
1990-92 XJ6 cars
1990-92 XJ6 cars
- 1. Record radio security code (if so equipped).
- 2. Disconnect negative battery terminal/cable.
- 3. Reconnect negative battery terminal/cable; "beeping"
should be heard.
- 4. Press each transmitter so a total of 5 confirmations
- 5. Test operation. Enter radio code (if needed). Set clock.
- 1. Turn ignition key ON.
- 2. Turn security switch OFF (located in center console).
- 3. Turn ignition key OFF.
- 4. Turn security switch ON.
- 5. Cycle security system switch ON/OFF rapidly 4 times (within 5 seconds)
- 6. Press each transmitter so a total of 5 confirmations are heard.
- 1. Open trunk lid.
- 2. Open driver's door.
- 3. Turn ignition switch "ON" but do not start engine.
- 4. Rock valet switch (located in center console) 5 times;
a single chirp and flash of the headlamps indicate the Security Locking
Control Module has entered the "learning" mode.
- 5. Press the alarm/lock (larger) button of the first transmitter.
This transmitter will be linked to position 1 of the seat/steering/mirror
memory. A tone will confirm that the transmitter code was accepted. Note
that the button must be pushed within 15 seconds or the module will exit
the "learning" mode.
- 6. Rock valet switch once. Two short chirps will indicate
the system is ready to accept a second transmitter. Press the arm/lock
(larger) button of the second transmitter. Two tones will confirm the transmitter
code was accepted.
- 7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for up to a total of 5 transmitters.
The second transmitter programmed will be linked to position 2; the third
to position 3, and so forth. The number of confirmation chirps mentioned
in step 6 will indicate the transmitter count (i.e. 3 chirps for third
transmitter). Note that you must cycle through steps 5 and 6 five times
regardless of the number of transmitters; if you have less than 5 transmitters
just repeat using the last transmitter until 5 cycles have been finished.How to re-program your keyless entry remotes:
- 8. Turn ignition off and close door and trunk. Test for
proper operation of the seat/steering/mirror memories.
See our Jaguar Parts Store Catalog to order parts.
Can't find the new or used part you need? Complete the Jaguar Parts Request Form: